Jan 8, 2011

Beauty Through the Decades: 50's

In the uncertain times following the end of World War II, tradition and conservative values made a big comeback. The glamorous woman at home, able to attend to all domestic chores without a hair out of place, became a popular image. As a result, many women spent an inordinate amount of time living up to the '50s ideal of beauty. The "doe eye," created with shadow on the lids, eyebrow pencil, mascara and heavy eyeliner; along with a pale complexion and intensely colored lips, became fashionable. Women's hair suffered even greater abuse. It was teased, styled, sculpted and sprayed at the salon every week into a helmet of perfectly formed curls, waves and bouffants.
 Sophia Loren
 Audrey Hepburn
 Ava Gardner
 Briggitte Bardot
 Grace Kelly
 Jean Pratchett (Model)
 Marilyn Monroe
 Wilhelmina Cooper was a model who began with Ford Models and, at the peak of her success, founded her own agency, Wilhelmina Models, in New York City in 1967.
 Gina Lollobrigida is an Italian actress and photojournalist. She was one of the most prominent actresses in Europe of the 1950s and early 1960s. Today, she remains an active supporter of Italian and Italian American causes, particularly the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF). In 2008, she received the NIAF Lifetime Achievement Award at the Foundation's Anniversary Gala.
______________________________________________________________________________
P.S. Dear Earthling, if i've forgot somebody beautiful and important of this time period - please do not keep silence! Leave Comments, telling me who should also be in the list. Merci.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I found ya lookin' for a new wallpaper of Sophia ... I've never seen the one you have used; nice!

    2. Hopefully I have some more time to look thru your blog ... "Life on Mars," although it is a tad 'negative' re: back when women were perfect :o) it seems to be more simply "historical." We know the info presented already; what do YOU think about how women "were"? -- You could be a bit 'stronger' with your opinion, eh? After all, this is 2011 (I think, isn't it?). And finally:

    3. How INTERESTING that the FIRST website I come to this morning as I sit down at my desk to drink my 1st cup of coffee is not only connected to my Goddess Sophia, but it is ALSO titled similarly to the series (cancelled in 2009 after only 17 episodes) that I have only this month discovered!! I actually orient my days this last week around the 1630 airing of "Life on Mars."

    My POINT: How do you feel about "fate" vs. "coincidence?" How many "coincidences" are allowed to go by in ones life within a few weeks or a month until a person should stop and wonder WTF?!

    ReplyDelete